Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Wilderness Systems Thresher 140

Super stoked! Received the new Wilderness Systems Thresher 140 yesterday. Been waiting for a while as they worked out some production issues to get things right. Well my initial impression is WOW! I have to admit it's a lot of boat at 14 feet. I've never had a kayak this long but, the layout, the features, and the overall design are very nice. You can tell that they put a lot of effort into the design and features they integrated. Here are some pics:

 Thresher 140 in dusk color.

 Front hatch, hinged in the front with good quality closures in the rear.

 Enclosed front hatch, offers some great front storage. There are scupper holes in place but the Thresher comes with plugs to keep the area dry.

 The Thresher's cockpit is roomy and well laid out. The new foot braces are large and comfortable.

The large center hatch is equipped with a rubber gasket and locking mechanisms to hold it tightly in place. It is also hinged in the front for easy opening and closing. The center hatch is able to accommodate fishing rods for launching and landing in the surf.

I love the removable pod on the Ride 115X but the pod on the Thresher is a big improvement in design. It is large and roomy but not overly bulky. Like the center hatch it is held in place by some solid clamps.

A shot of the pod removed. You can see the large opening for multiple sizes of transducers.

I got mine with the optional rudder kit. I think the rudder will be a nice addition on this 14 foot kayak.

This is the rudder deployment system for lifting and lowering the rudder from the seat. The rudder itself is operated by the foot braces.

The rear tankwell is really large and comes with a bungee system along with 2 tie down straps. You can see there is also a spot to install a round hatch should you choose.

The seat of the Thresher is the original Air Pro seat. A comfortable seat with some adjustability to it. 

There's a quick overview of the Thresher. Soon, I'll do a more in depth review, after I get it out on the water. Thanks for checking it out!

2 comments:

  1. THRESHER 140 mini review
    The Threshers are in at OEX Mission Bay!!!! The Wilderness people are moving them right out. Mine was built, finished on 27th October and delivered TODAY. Three 140's and one 155 Thresher MIGHT be left, plus some Tarpons and Rides. Just had a little time to play with it today. The 140 is AWESOME. Faster than my OUTBACK, faster than the PA's in fact it is almost as fast as the Adventure. Nice yak, tracks well even without the rudder system, good glide. Paddled NOT pedaled to O.B. dog beach, played around jetty, tried the beach launch, got wet but not dumped. Easy launch, landing. Boat rides very well, bow rises up and over swell and waves. When overtaken by a wave coming in boat was responsive and nimble, did not get pushed around, I am sure that was due to the rocker in the hull. Did get wet when wave caught up with me from behind but Yak was not over powered. Only had a 9 foot flyrod with me as all my other outfits are still in Baja AND it FIT in the storage hatch WITHOUT having to break it down. A set of thigh braces for surf work would help us older guys but that was the only negative I saw today. Boat inside was bone dry, storage hatch easy to access and seals easily. Do not know how the O.S.Pod will work as I won't rig electronics until after I BLOODY the deck of this lady in Gonzaga next week. The Mango color is highly visable and should be easy to spot on the water. OEX Mission Bay is ready to Demo these SEXY Ladies NOW, And mine will be at Tidelands on Saturday at our Heroes on the Water event, you could even try mine out there. I wanted this boat to explore the Pacific beaches of Baja and it will get it's first real workout 27 November - 7 December when I take it to Asuncion. I will let you know how it performed there when we get back. I hope this helps some of you who are on the edge to TRY this yak. This is NOT to detract from my Hobie Outback which I totally love, This yak for me is for SURF, and offshore work off of Pacific Baja Beaches. My Outback just does not perform well for me in that environment as I am just too old to manhandle it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bob, great write up! Thanks for sharing it with us and glad that you are diggin' the Thresher. That's sweet that you were able to fit a 9 foot rod in the center hatch. Good luck on that trip, tight lines!

    ReplyDelete