Saturday, October 11, 2014

Do I really need all this "stuff"?

One thing is for sure, I'll never be accused of being a minimalist. I'm a planner and I like to have those items that I just may need in any given situation. I always knew that I carried a lot but it wasn't until I met up with a buddy to hit the water and he showed up with his kayak, a pfd, a single rod, and a couple pieces of tackle! Laughing, I said "WTH! How is that all you have?" Now, I'll never be that minimal but it did get me thinking about how much I take on the water and do I really need it all. I primarily fish in saltwater and carry some gear based on that. Beside the kayak, seat, paddle, and PFD here is a list of what I take with me out on the water:



- Fishfinder with battery
- Net, gaff, & fish bat
- Lip grippers
- 3 waterproof Plano boxes 
     1 small - terminal tackle, 1 large - plastics and heads, 
     1 large - irons and lures
- 2 cameras and 2 mounts
- VHF radio
- 2 dry bags 
     1 with personal gear
     1 with fishing items
- 1 game clip (stringer)
- knife/small cutting board
- bump board
- water/snacks
- hat / extra clothing
- 3 rods
- crate with rod holders
- bait
- whistle/flare gun
- 1st aid kit
- 2 rail mounted rod holders

I'm probably forgetting some things but you get the idea. After looking at my list I can see a few changes I could make. I could start by consolidating my Plano boxes down to two and maybe go down to one dry bag. Do I really need a gaff, a bat, lip grippers, and a net? Well, yes, of course I do! But, in the end I can't see anything that I would want to get rid of. There are some items that I've never used like the flare gun. Never used it and don't even know if it works but I like having it. Might be time for a test, hmmm. 

I guess for me, the bottom line is this. I like carrying "stuff". It makes me feel better and I like to know that I've got what I need. I applaud those of you that are able to hit the water with less. For those of you who take more...you might have a problem! Ha!

So what do you take out on the water with you? What is your "standard" gear list? Post it up and let me know. Maybe I'm missing something that I didn't know I couldn't live without!

Get out there and fish! Cheers, Tebbs!






No comments:

Post a Comment