Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Kicking things off! 1st post - 8/1/14 Leffingwell report

On August 1st I met up with my father-in-law, brother-in-law, and a buddy, Jeff and we hit Leffingwell Landing in Cambria, Ca. The weather and swell report was looking great and since none of us had fished there since last years Cambria Slam Down Tournament we were excited to get back and see what we could hook into.





We left town at 5:30 am and drove the 45 mins. north to Cambria. The skies were overcast but the air was warm and comfortable. We arrived at the launch site, did our rigging, and were on the water by 7:00. The water temperature has been hovering around 65 degrees recently, warm for our local waters and there has been a ton of bait swimming around. On this day I had elected to leave my sabiki rig behind and was relying on lures and jigs tipped with squid. We paddled out to 70 fow (feet of water) and almost immediately started hooking up on blues, blacks, and small gophers. 






The fishing stayed consistent for most of the morning with all of us catching near limits of assorted rockfish. Jeff was the only one of us to get a ling cod this day but it was just shy of being legal or close enough not to be worth the possible fine. I went deeper out to the sand flats in search of Halibut with no luck. I did manage to add a nice copper rockfish and a Johnny bass (olive rockfish) to the stringer, while also landing a canary rockfish that had to go back since they are a protected species. 





While I was searching for halibut I heard the loud rush of air from a pod of gray whales as they surfaced nearby. I was not able to get any photos of them this time but it is always a special day when you get to be close to these beautiful giants. In the end I caught around 20 fish of multiple species and brought home 5 for fish tacos. Meanwhile, the rest were released back to get bigger. We called it a day around noon and hit the beach. It was a great day on the water and nice to get back up to Leffingwell. We didn't catch any big lings or fat cabezon's but the fishing was consistent and fun. Anytime I can fish with family and friends, I call that a great day. There's just nothing better! #wildyfishing


No comments:

Post a Comment